12.10.2007

Assignment MM2

Theme takes a back seat to other parts of the writing such as decent plot and good voice and whatnot because without that the story sucks to read. But i do think that without theme a story would be pointless and leave the reader wanting. So yeah, theme is important. Ok, 50 words, I’m half way there. I guess I don’t really know why theme is so important, maybe you just want to write something for fun, to make people laugh, but in that case you’d still have a theme- it’d be ‘lighten up’ or something along those lines. So I don’t think you can escape theme even if you want to. Theme is the purpose of the story, the driving force behind the actions of the characters. (128 words)

Great works last as long as there are people out there who appreciate them. It helps people to appreciate them if they are well written and have a message that is almost transcendental in how it can apply to people of all times and of many ages. Morals help books live longer, stories that apply to all generations. Pride and Prejudice for example is a story that girls can identify with, even though the processes of courtship and such have greatly changed. (82 words)

The lasting impact I want to have on the world is not so large as one might expect. I want to make an impact at home, on the people around me. I want to be an example as to how God’s love is real and good and even though I’m not perfect and they wont be perfect, we can get along and respect each other and not worry about someone coming to excommunicate us or something for hanging out with people of a different race, color, or religion. I want to have an impact on my children and let them grow up in a good environment like the one I just described, and then I want them to take what they learned from being kids and grow up and be what they want to be. I guess to sum all that up I’d say that I don’t want to change the world, I just want to have bettered the lives of the people I encounter. does that makes sense? (169 words)

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Is there even courtship now and days?

Make an impact on being you around everyone!

Bethany Joy said...

yes there is courtship now a days actually.

Caro's Blog said...

I think the reader and writer needs something like the red band in the storie. too. The Moral is a good point for an everlasting storie.

.//blog said...

I agree with the first part, but what about telling a story just for fun?



God's....love?????

Caro's Blog said...

I think the reader and writer needs something like the red band in the storie. too. The Moral is a good point for an everlasting storie.

Bethany Joy said...

Yes, God's love. Its like the best kind of love there is. I'm a Christian and i'm not afraid to talk about it, if you have questions come talk to me and if i dont know the answer i'll find out.

Bethany Joy said...

o and even when you're telling a story just for fun there will probably be a theme, because they kind of slip in there without you trying to.

Mr. Miles said...

But I think making an impact on the people around you IS changing the world. Changing one person is changing the world, and you never know what effect that one person may have.

I agree that a story with a good theme won't survive without strong voice, plot, etc. My theory is that you have to have a great plot because that pulls people in. Theme is what makes the story survive.

weird_werewolf said...

Change should start at home. Or maybe people could start changing the world by changing themselves.
It seems a little random for me to comment here since I'm not even at EHS. Whatever =)